The Belgian Institute for Sustainable IT is a think and do tank founded in 2020, based on its French equivalent the INR. Our aim is to bring together Belgian companies, organizations and individuals, and help them succeed their digital transition while reducing the environmental and social footprint of their IT services and usages. Thanks to the support of our members and of public authorities, we promote digital technologies and services that are more sustainable, inclusive and ethical.
As a non-profit association founded in 2020, the Institute is a think tank devoted to the 3 key issues of Sustainable IT:
- reducing the environmental footprint of digital technology and its other negative impacts from both social and economic points of view;
- the capacity of digital technology to reduce humanity’s environmental footprint and to solve many societal and economic problems;
- the creation of sustainable value and responsible innovation via digital technology.
We want to become a key Belgian player bringing together companies, organizations and individuals around Sustainable IT. By promoting digital technologies that are more sustainable, inclusive and ethical, our goal is to help them succeed their digital transition while reducing the environmental and social footprint of their IT services and usages
The Institute looks at:
- Technical subjects – eco-design of digital equipment and services, energy saving, reuse and recycling…;
- Uses linked to digital services;
- Social aspects (digital accessibility, improvement for users and for digital players, etc.), collaborative economy and improved cooperation;
- The role of digital technology to transition towards a more sober, virtuous and circular economy.
The Institute develops, in the interest of all, a close interdisciplinary cooperation between actors of civil life, the social and solidarity economy, teachers, researchers, public, private and associative actors for the anticipation and appropriation of the challenges and values of sustainable IT.
Our action is always guided by the 3Ps: People, Planet, Profit. This triple bottom line reminds us that organizations must think about their activity not only to be economically viable but also according to social and climate emergency issues.
Sustainable IT is, in our view, a set of digital technologies and services providing solutions and innovations that are sustainable for the planet, ethical and socially inclusive.
Our goals, with regards to Sustainable IT, are to:
- promote exchanges and sharing of knowledge;
- promote best practices;
- help social, institutional, economic players and the general public to understand and take ownership of the Sustainable IT values;
- create the conditions in which Sustainable IT can help increase the capacity of the economic fabric, of institutions and the society as a whole to innovate in a more sustainable manner;
- identify and communicate on practical experiences, tools and news to take concrete action;
- represent among institutions and official bodies the Sustainable IT community and the values defended by the association;
- develop existing or future scientific, technological, logistical, methodological and social resources for these purposes;
- be an independent and objective player and to become a referent concerning this theme.
Become a member
By joining the association, you express your will to start or further your transition towards a more sustainable manner of creating, managing and using IT products and services. The Institute, sole representative in Belgium for the Sustainable IT Charter and Label, allows you to integrate a place of exchange and sharing. With a common goal of continuous improvement, we aim at reducing our environmental footprint while creating lasting value, enabling sustainable innovation for the inclusion of all.
Membership gives access to various resources, tools, training and a network of expertise, a forerunner on the subject, to support the implementation of good practices in companies, associations, NGOs, education or communities.